2.24.2009

LENT and Holy Week


LENT begins tomorrow and although I have heard about and studied Lent (sort of) my whole life, I have never given up something for the seven weeks prior to Easter….HOLY WEEK. Many people view Lent as an old law, one in which we no longer need to observe. But my heart's cry has been to be changed and to experience true intimacy with HIM and what a perfect time to give up something, to set my mind on HIM as we begin to focus on the crucifixion and RESURRECTION. So, I’m still not sure what the Lord would want me to give up but I am confident HE will show me by tomorrow…(if it’s coffee, it’s not going to be pretty… ; )

So if you're serious about living this new resurrection life with Christ, act like it. Pursue the things over which Christ presides. Don't shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ—that's where the action is. See things from his perspective. Col. 3:1-2


Here is section of an article I read, by Dennis Bratcher:

Ash Wednesday, the seventh Wednesday before Easter Sunday, is the first day of
the Season of Lent. Its name comes from the ancient practice of placing ashes on
worshippers’ heads or foreheads as a sign of humility before God, a symbol of
mourning and sorrow at the death that sin brings into the world. It not only
prefigures the mourning at the death of Jesus, but also places the worshipper in
a position to realize the consequences of sin. (See Reflections on Ash
Wednesday
). Ash Wednesday is a somber day of reflection on what needs to
change in our lives if we are to be fully Christian.

What are you doing for LENT? How is your church observing LENT?

No comments: